Mediterranean Diet 101 Meal Plan
Mediterranean diet includes healthy wheat products, white meat and healthy oils ; products like whole wheat breads, chicken and fish rather than beef, whole, healthy vegetables and lots of nuts. Use plant based oils and fats like olive oil and rapeseed oil rather than animal fats.
Mediterranean Diet Health Benefits
– reduce your risk of being stricken with anything heart related
-lowers your risk of stroke
-lowers your risk of heart attack and heart disease
-contributes to healthier vessels which reduces your chances of getting a blood clot
-eliminates risk factors for heart disease such as red meat and unhealthy fats,
-recommends red wine which is good for the heart
-it reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes.
-is rich in fiber so it slows down digestion which in turn means that there is less risk of swings in blood sugar
– improves brain performance
-you eat in moderation so overweight people have a perfect chance in this diet to lose some weight.
1. Don’t strip fat out of your diet
- stick to healthy fats like olive oil
- a central part of the Mediterranean diet is olive oil.
2. Eat as many vegetables as you can
- eat whatever vegetables you can find
- get as much fiber as you can
- even upping the amount of tomatoes and carrots to your meals will make a difference.
The Basics of Mediterranean Diet
- Vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes, potatoes, whole grains, breads, herbs, spices, fish, seafood and extra virgin olive oil.
Eat in Moderation:
- Poultry, eggs, cheese and yogurt.
Eat Only Rarely:
- Red meat.
- Sugar-sweetened beverages, added sugars, processed meat, refined grains, refined oils and other highly processed foods.
Foods to Eat
Healthy, unprocessed Mediterranean foods.
- Tomatoes, broccoli, kale, spinach, onions, cauliflower, carrots, Brussels sprouts, cucumbers, etc.
- Apples, bananas, oranges, pears, strawberries, grapes, dates, figs, melons, peaches, etc.
Nuts and Seeds:
- Almonds, walnuts, Macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and more.
- Beans, peas, lentils, pulses, peanuts, chickpeas, etc.
- Potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnips, yams, etc.
- Whole oats, brown rice, rye, barley, corn, buckwheat, whole wheat, whole grain bread and pasta.
Fish and Seafood:
- Salmon, sardines, trout, tuna, mackerel, shrimp, oysters, clams, crab, mussels, etc.
- Chicken, duck, turkey and more.
- Chicken, quail and duck eggs.
- Cheese, yogurt, Greek yogurt, etc.
Herbs and Spices:
- Garlic, basil, mint, rosemary, sage, nutmeg, cinnamon, pepper, etc.
- Extra virgin olive oil, olives, avocados and avocado oil.
Whole, single ingredient foods are the key!!!
Live healthy and stay happy…